Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Pondering over my life

Now that I have been thinking about my life for a long long time (I am great at thinking but bad at implementing) I am wondering as to where my life is leading me to.

I can't reason why but my life seems to be a replica of Robert Frost's great work:-

The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood,
and I— I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

Pondering over my life seems to point to the very similarities between my life and the verses above. Maybe I am mistaken after all everyone has to choose a road and I have made my decision too. But I seriously wonder if it was wrong? After all well trodden roads mean more people at the destination which in-turn would mean that I would find acquaintances at the destination?

But then somehow the unknown is what beckons me. And not subtly. I am not looking for acquaintances (you find them a dozen a dime and more often compulsorily free and thrust upon you). Camaraderie is what I am looking for. Not the kind that's built over time. I am talking in terms of the one built on experiences, ideas, and commitments. Commitments to the ideas, values and objectives. I am one of those who bond better with certain people who I meet for just five minutes than folks I have known for years!

Its been a long time since I have been going on this road - with no intentions of going back. After all I cant back on my own hearts call? However it would not be wrong to say that my grey cells do sometimes pass on the signals which falters my drive. However my conviction has always succeeded to draw me back.

Coming back from the realms of thought, it was Independence Day today and caused me to think a lot. And I decided that it was time enough to attend this call. Seemed like a good idea to use the Independence day for some social indulgence. ;-)

Going back to the travel of my life - there is something that bugs me. Same as Frost's last few lines:-

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

Why the sigh? Is it a sigh of regret or a pleasurable one? I guess I wont know till I reach my destination. But when I do, rest assured, I will not reveal the nature of the sigh. Its for you to find out.

I dare you to.!!!

Au Revoir

No comments: